Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help finding stupid little Brat specific plastic thingy...

Ok so I have a sweet set of Brat bed chrome. I dont want to replace my crappy bed chrome just yet, because all the little plastic clips are missing for the body. So I cannot screw the new chrome in securely.

Has anybody found a good replacement clip for the Brat beds. I found replacement screws that were beveled and worked great, but all the plastic inserts were far too small.

Same here. But I did manage to get a few out of my '86 without breaking them. Now the '85 has it's tailgate trim on.

Can't help but wonder if the El Camino, Ranchero, Rampage, or Scamp trim fasteners would be usable. Quite a few years running of the 1st 2, so many different trim styles were used. Just thoughts running rampant thru the brain.

There are wholesale suppliers of fasteners that supply body shops and such that have catalogs of practically every kind of automotive fastener ever made. (I have a friend that used to work for one of them long ago, and neither of us can recall the name of the company:-\)

They may not have a specific listing for BRATs or anything that old, but I recall every item had a picture and dimensions in the descriptions.

I got some for a door panel to an Accord I had many years ago, they came in a box of about 15 or 20. I just matched up the old fastener to the pic in the catalog, and voila..worked perfectly. Didn't cost much either, like $5 for the box.

Finding one of those suppliers might be the way to go, they'll probably have exactly the right item. It worked for me.

Just my 2 bucks

I obviated the clips completely (or, rather, they obviated themselves by disintegrating) for my tailgate chrome and did some hackery involving machine screws, nylock nuts, flat washers, and some nylon spacers cut to fit. I can't remember the exact specs of what I used offhand, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. If I can find some of the leftovers at the house later and they're still in their bags, I'll let you know what they were.

Getting my hand inside the tailgate to hold a wrench on the nylocks while I fastened down the machine screws was... Fun. I've still got a scar on my left hand from where it managed to catch on the latch mechanism.

Those clips are still available through subaru dealers, they are under 3 bucks, i just got some last year, i also have one left in package with part number if need be..........

I'll take a part number on that, please. My fix is holding up, but I'd prefer to get the original clips back in there if possible. Are the clips the same all the way around the bed, or are there different part numbers depending on whether it's tailgate, side, or cab trim?

Those clips are still available through subaru dealers, they are under 3 bucks, i just got some last year, i also have one left in package with part number if need be..........

PLEASE! That would be perfect.

Greenley, you are in luck my friend. I just so happen to have duplicates of everything, and the bed chrome is in great condition for both. I'll bring my extra up with me when I come to see Jibs.