Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey I'm looking to buy a used Subaru so I can take it up to school with me next semester. I go to school in Syracuse so I need something that can take the snow, and I want something that will at least last me 3 more years. I'll only really be driving the 253 miles to school about 4 times and besides that only down the street to do my laundry and to the supermarket. I found, this is the second car I've found and asked about on these boards haha, a 1998 Legacy Wagon AWD with 200,984 miles on it. It's at a mechanic's shop who specializes in Saabs and Subarus. They've replaced the clutch, catalytic converter, and brakes. It's been serviced and all the fluids have been replaced. It says this is only the second owner, and it seems like a car in pretty good shape, but it still has a lot of mileage. I'm going by to check it out today, are there any specific questions I should ask? Anything I should find out about the car before buying it?

So I went by and checked the car out yesterday. Drives great, couldn't find anything wrong with it EXCEPT they didn't change the catalytic converter. It's a private sale, not the mechanic's car, and the guy decided when he found out it would cost $800 to sell it without the converter. The mechanic claims that's the only problem with it and even said I could pass my inspection at his shop so I'd be set if I didn't want to pay the $800. They dropped the price to $2000 and it's very enticing, but I think my next step is to take it to the dealership to check it out. My main concern is that because of the converter needing to be replaced the engine light is on, so if something is wrong with the car or something happens I won't know. It's only had one previous owner and he's been taking it to this mechanic for the last 5 years. There are new brake pads and they've changed all the fluids. The tires were changed last year along with the spark plugs. He said on this model, and showed me some info on his computer that "confirmed this", you have to change the timing belt every 105,000 miles and showed me the invoice saying it was last changed at 145,000. That would give me an other 50,000 miles which would be fine, but does that sound right? 105,000 miles? Thoughts comments?