Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm a little hard on the old Foz

frogstar7055

Went and got stuck in the mud and water.

Didn't get pics of the event but got pics of aftermath.

When I got it pulled out and opened the door water poured out like a waterfall out the door.

wet.jpg

wet3.jpg

wet1.jpg

wet4.jpg

wet5.jpg

wet2.jpg

It stalled while in the pit so I had truck that pulled me out tow me back to the house,just a couple of blocks.

It was shorting out like crazy and I just disconnected the battery and started the drying out process.

Not sure yet if I'm screwed but I'll do whatever I gotta to straighten it out.

You'd think I'd learn.

91-94 legacy's mount the ECU up above the fusebox above the hood release up by the column, that was a great place.

That would have been soaked just like the one in my GL Turbo when I drove it into the willamette river.

Luckily I had the enough time while the car was filling to reach under and pull the ECU. The nuts were already loose, and it just slides off it's mounts pretty easy. Then I hopped out and stoop on the bumper, (in the water) to disconnect the battery.

My ECU was fine and the rest was soaked. the car is running great now

If that car is an automatic, make sure to drain all the trans fluid and then flush it again a few more times. What comes out will look like strawberry Quick* Add some water remover to the ATF when you do.

Change the enigne oil too of course, and the rear diff.

But the trans is particularly vulnerable, as water pressure pushes fluid into the Trans past the axle and rear output seals.

That's bad. At my work we do make small chips and flowcells for biological analysis. We make them from a material named PDMS. It is sold under the name Sylgard 184 and 182 (Down Corning). You mix two components in a 1 to 10 ratio and then pour it of the structures to make the chips.

However this stuff was invented to seal of electronics for protection against water and shocks. Maybe a good idea for off-roading.

Wires can get wet, microchips not!

After getting it to start and run Thursday night I decided to blow work off Friday and change all the fluids and put it back together.

(Interior was still all pulled out)

Now before I get to far let me say that when I first started drying it out and trying to start it I pulled the plugs before I ever cranked it over.

Having had a BAD hydro-locking experience makes me a little jittery about that kind of thing.

When I cranked it,splosh outta the passenger side. I thought "oh ****" I did suck up water,but when I smelled it it was gas.

I figured when the brain drowned it stuck one of the injectors open and filled the cylinder with fuel.

Flash forward to Friday I started it and puled it to the back of the driveway and first did the engine oil change.

It was as much gas as oil so I guess I scrubbed the inside of the motor.

Both diff's had water in them,trans fluid looked good.

Got it all changed and took it out on the road,first time since the incident.

Now before it happened (the incident) I had a slight hum from the rear that I am pretty sure was a rear wheel bearing on it's way out.

Now it's a pronounced grumble.

So I'm in the process of pulling the hubs so I can take them to work and press the bearings out.

Isn't off-roading fun boys and girls?