Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 hatchback going crazy?

Hey,

Got a 81 DL hatchback EA71, and it is doing some crazy weird things electrically. Sometimes it is fine, and other times I put on right blinker and left blinker blinks or both blink. Front park light wasn't working so I went to replace bulb and it turned on it was funky. Headlights only work with brights, without brights they turn on for about 5 seconds and turn off. Today, I turned on the lights and many lights started flashing one blinker, high beams indicator , door a jars. I was like holy ************ what the hell is going on. I was thinking bad grounds so I checked and it has soild grounds to the block radiator and body.

Just purchased car last week, I need to get inspection done for state and it isn't gonna pass like this lol. Is this a common problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wes

Check the voltage regulator. Part of your problem may be excessive AC current from the regulator.

If you find nothing there - make sure the windsheild isn't leaking on the wireing somewhere under the dash. That can also cause strange things.

Frankly though - your problem is not a common one and is pretty obscure.

GD

No, it's under the hood. There's a fuse box near the steering column, as well as your fuel pump controller.

Get a digital multimeter, and check for a/c voltage at the output on the alternator with the engine running. If it shows over about .3vac, you have a bad diode in the alternator and it'll need to be replaced. Usually they show .1vac or less, or 4vac or higher. You'll get the most accurate reading right off the back of the alternator.

The guy said the alternator was just replaced. Is it possible the alternator is nice and strong now and has thrown out the voltage regulator. Now my nights will not work at all, fuses are good. I found what looks like the regulator on top of the coil and one on bolted to fender next to coil, which one is the voltage regulator.

Thanks,

Wes

They may have replaced the alternator thinking it was an internally regulated unit as they were beginning with the '82 model year. As I recall (and it's been a while so I could be way off), the regulator is in a round, blue canistor somewhere on the driver's side of the engine bay.... again I could be way off though. It's been a long time and I avoid pre-'82's as do most other's around this section of the forum - they are "odd" and not too useful for what most of us do with these cars. Nothing wrong with them per-se, but parts are getting troublesome to hunt down for the EA71's and older.

GD

I found what looks like the regulator on top of the coil and one on bolted to fender next to coil, which one is the voltage regulator.
On my '81 ea81 the Ext.VR was on the fender next to the coil. It's a metal box with rounded corners. It should have 6 wires. I switched to internally regulated and gave away my Ext. VR's, so I can't post a pic. I think it is entirely possible that the PO did what GD suggested and replaced the alt. with an internally regulated one, but it's impossible to tell without testing. If you want to switch to internally regulated, RenaissanceMan did a quick and easy write-up on it:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47847&highlight=alternator

I found this other write-up that suggests making a connection to the coil. I assume this is so the fuel pump only turns on when the vehicle is running. If so, I might have to try it, although I have had no troubles so far with Renaissanceman's method.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64059&highlight=externally+regulated

OK, I am frustrated! Put a new voltage regulator in the car (didn't do the conversion to newer alternator,didn't wanna mess with it yet). Lights still weren't working, checked fuse and it wasn't blown. So I pulled fuse and jumpered it for hell of it, and it worked finally, so then I put the fuse back in and it was still working but only with brights on (not that bright either). Checked for bad grounds again....all good, the passenger side blinker is working in the parking lamp not the blinker, when I take it apart and wiggle it it works....for a second, then it switches back to blinking the parking lamp. On drivers side put new bulb in parking lamp and it still wont work. What is going on with this thing, I love Subaru and this the 4th one I have owned but I have never had so many electrical issues. Was this common with older ones? The oldest I have owned before this one was an 89' XT EA81.