Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ideas to seal rear air struts with lift

A 2" lift on my XT6 looks like it's putting strain on the rear air struts in such a way that it's causing them to leak. I'm looking for ideas to seal them up.

The rear struts are interesting in that the rear bushings on top actually seal the system. With the bushings removed air freely passes from inside the strut through the hole that the strut rod comes out of on the top of the strut. The bushings then get bolted on top of the strut and seal it off.

With the 2" lift it appears like it's "torquing" that bushing enough to let the air pressure escape sometimes. I cleaned everything up and reinstalled the best bushings I had on hand which were in great shape.

I guess my first attempt should be just to tighten those bolts holding the bushings on and see if that does it. But they are tight, doubt that will help. I don't think sealants are the ticket.

I will try and get a feel for whether or not the strut is "straight" maybe some spacers will help with the angle, but frankly I don't think that will help either.

Anyway to isolate those bushings so they don't "torque"?

Edited by grossgary