Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 catalytic converters...only need one.

Our subaru is the california model with 2 cats. We live in colorado, and where we live there's no emissions testing required. Out cars may be going bad, so I want to replace them.

Can I replace one converter and hollow the other one out? Or is there some other filler I can put in place of the old cat? I just dont want to replace both units if I only need one, especially at the price of $800 per cat for a california model.

Best bet is to have a muffler shop weld in some straight pipe for $50. Or - just cut the cat out and then have them weld the straight pipe in if they don't want to mess with emissions components.

Heck, the converters were worth $125 each at the scrap yard last year, you could make money off the deal. Straight pipe is dirt cheap, just need an honest welder to do it for you for a reasonable cost.

As touchy as the EPA is about auto emissions, you will be hard pressed to find a shop that will modify the emissions equipment on your car. If caught doing so by state inspectors, a huge fine can be slapped on a shop equipping modifying an exhaust system so that it is not pure OEM stock.

The only way around this, is to do the work yourself.

A friends legacy needed a new converter, I bought one off ebay for $114 (shipping included) just a couple months ago. It was a direct fit OEM style, just bolted right up.

Get the parts you need and have a shop install them.

Problem with exhaust is rusted bolts, sheared bolts, etc. It's unlikely it's going to come apart easily. I had access to a grinder and a friend cut off all the bolts for us (my friends car i was working on). Without tools/time exhaust work is one of the more annoying jobs to attempt yourself.

And don't forget your old converter is worth something at the scrap yards!

And don't forget your old converter is worth something at the scrap yards!

Yup. there's some precious metal in there that they recycle. I've had a few friend's cats stolen on their toyota trucks. Not pretty stuff.

I'll check ebay for the cats, that's a good suggestion. Bolts shouldnt be a problem, since when I had the exhaust system out for the oil plate, I removed the cats and O2 sensors to check and clean them. I think during the removal I might have broken it up more. We were getting the check engine light before for "catalyst efficiency below threshold", wich is why I checked and cleaned them.