Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to remove backwindow strips of 91 legacy

Hi all,

I have some rust lets say above the fuel filler cap but then on the driver side of the car. It is under the window (stationwagon), i would like to remove the paint and fix it before i have a hole. I assume the rear windows of the SW are glued in the car. However the weather strip under it hopefully not. To gain access i would like to remove the strip (between side panel and the window, so under the window). How do i remove this strip and can i place it back or do i have to replace it?

Car is end 1991 legacy station.

I once owned a 91 Leggie wagon, so I can envision what you are saying. I don't think the aluminum window molding strip can be removed without damaging it. Then it would be difficult to find a good replacement strip.

I can tell that you want to do a good job on rust repair and further rust prevention, but in this instance, I think you would be better off leaving the molding strip on, and painting up to where the molding meets the sheet metal. It may help to spray some rust preventive up and under the molding as best you can.

I hope this advise helps.