Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with accident, bumper adjustment

98 Legacy L wagon:

I got lightly hit in the rear bumper and it apparently dislocated it a little bit.

Question, how would I put it back in place? Nothing else seems to be damaged.

bumper_right.jpg

bumper_left1.jpg

bumper_left2.jpg

With most modern cars there are just some plastic clips in that part of the bumper that hold it to the quarter panel. You'll need to remove the splash shields from the wheel well and pull the whole bumper down to get access to see if they're broken or just popped loosen.

Here's a breakdown of the rear bumper for reference. http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_17/body_equipment_exterior/rear_bumper/

Thanks

I have the option of going to the insurance co of the party that hit me, but with the damage so minor, I am not even sure I want to bother. I can get them to pay for the fix, or maybe negotiate some cash deal (They give me $50 kind of thing and avoid insurance hike?)

Another possibility is just ignore the whole thing, I am not much into cosmetic looks.

What do you think? This bumper won't just come off in the future, will it? It looks solidly in place with just a minor misalignment.

What do you think? This bumper won't just come off in the future, will it? It looks solidly in place with just a minor misalignment.

Depends on how fast you drive. :lol:

It's probably not going anywhere. You might be able to look under the car in that area and see where the clips are that hold it in place. Might be as simple as popping them back in. If you were really anal about it you'd want to remove the whole bumper and make sure the reinforcement isn't bent. But honestly if there isn't any major cosmetic damage it probably not worth the time to do all that.

Regardless of what you do you should notify your insurance that it was in an accident. I'm guessing you probably didn't call the police when this happened?

Thanks

I don't think "the bump cover" will come off. They are well attached to the car. The actual bumper is a metal beam bar behind the bumper cover. Yank on it if you like to see if there is any looseness where attached. I bet there is minimal looseness. I am pretty much like you, if a car is older, a cosmetic dent or ding doesn't bother me. They become character lines to the car. If it were me, I would ask for $200 to $300 from the guilty party for damaging your car. That is giving the offender a break. At a body shop, figure repair cost of $1,000 or more. I would prolly just pocket the money, and drive the car as is.