Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6 lug conversion questions

I'm about to do the 6-lug conversion, and I had a few questions before I begin. I already have the template to drill.

What size drill bit do I need to buy?

What are the specs on the oem wheel studs? length, thread pattern, etc. Obviously I have to buy a few more, and I'd like to have all the parts ready to go before I even begin, you know?

Obviously I can't mess this up, so exact specifics are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

You should have heard the guy at AutoZone when I asked for 16 wheel studs. It was pretty entertaining. I need all this same info for my swap as well, thanks for making a thread.

why is that weird?

when we did it on my buddy's brat, we were going to just get 16 for the brat. but nobody locally had any in stock. One NAPA store poked around in their books though, and found one with the same dimensions (thread pitch/diameter, and base diameter) but longer than stock. so we used those, and got open-ended nuts. then carefully measured the base of the stud, and got a bit 1/64th smaller. we weren't looking for anything too precise, as we were planning on spot-welding the studs to the hub anyway....

The front hubs look like they have a slightly beveled face to drill on so thats why he said do the front hubs first if you happen to have rear discs because front hubs are dime a dozen, at least they are for me right now. I would think the rear would be pretty straightforward after you get the fronts finished. I don;t know for sure because my brat is resting on the rear tires and jack stands right now till I get the front on.

I decided on the wheel/tire combo..... did the measurements last night with a straight edge and a tape measure.

15x8..... zero offset (4 in and 4 out)

225 / 50 / 15 tire

Should clear everything inside, as the stockers go about 4.5 in

Outward it should line up just right with the outside of the fenders... it'll make a nice stance. Might hqave to massage them a bit... but I shouldn't have to cut anything.

Anyone know what the correct LENGTH of the oem wheel studs is?

You'd be amazed with all the after,market stuff, how little info out there is available on oem stuff.

Anyone?

no, but the back drums are longer then the front discs

I use a 14mm drill bit to drill holes ,

go the pull a part or a parts car with a hammer and a nut and pound out a few

Edited by Scott in Bellingham
detail

I'm assuming I need a Cobalt or a Carbide 14mm drill bit to cut 16 holes into 4 different rotors.

Anyone know where I can get one? I've checked everywhere.... even eBay..... can't find anything but just your regular run-of-the-mill drill bits that will likely get chewed up against a rotor.

I found a few on amazon but I was hoping to find something local so I didn't need to wait for shipping. They are the 35/64 size and there are a few around 10 bucks. Searching for 14mm I only found 2 and they were 14mm all the way down so they wouldn't fit 1/2 chucks like I have.