Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Cooling problem

so i've replaced every part of the cooling system i can think of on my 1986 GL wagon. it's a carbureted, manual transmission, front wheel drive model, and the hoses, thermostat, water pump, radiator cap, etc, have been replaced. yet, when the engine is under load — e.g., i'm going up a long, steep grade — the engine temperature starts to creep up. when it's really hot out and i try to run the a/c (which miraculously still works), the temperature creeps even higher. therefore, i don't use the a/c, but seeing how it's summer, i'd kind of like to. is the fan clutch the problem? can i fix this problem by putting in another electric fan? so many questions...

cheers, ben.

Do you have a single fan only? Does it work properly? If you only have one fan, get another to compliment it, I prefer to run dual electric fans. Also flush and backflush the cooling system. Are you losing fluid at all? Make sure the radiator fins aren't packed with mud or other debris and if it comes down to it you can always run your heater to take heat off the engine.

I believe GD helped me diagnose my cooling issues earlier and im in mid process on a solution. I think my radiator is clogged, so i figured why not try a cleaning product. I put a product made by Preston in my suby today and i will let you know if it UN-clogs the radiator in a day or two. If not no biggy still gotta buy a new radiator either way.