Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Direct bolt on turbo?: ea82T -> ea81T

I've heard different people say different things about the compatibility of these two turbos. I need to replace an oil-cooled ea81 turbo unit. I want to know if the ea82 turbo will bolt into the existing ea81 manifolds.

I am about to try an ea82t anyways to see if it works, b/c the ea81t is not common.

Thanks for input!

How've you been, Noah?

I recall that routing the water line to the EA82 turbo looked annoying. I have seen pictures of it done before but don't know which thread. I had been thinking of installing a standalone cooling circuit with an electric pump, and letting a hood scoop feed both it and the intercooler.

Hi Brian, I'm doing good. . . and finally got another EA81T. I've been subieless for a full year.

So, I'm having trouble finding a water-cooled EA81T. My understanding was that this oil-cooled unit was factory recalled early on and replaced with a oil&water-cooled turbo.

Can someone set me straight?

Hi Brian, I'm doing good. . . and finally got another EA81T. I've been subieless for a full year.

So, I'm having trouble finding a water-cooled EA81T. My understanding was that this oil-cooled unit was factory recalled early on and replaced with a oil&water-cooled turbo.

Can someone set me straight?

Thats correct. The dealerships did the recall and made the swaps.

The 83's got the recall.

Most of the 84's came from the factory with oil/watercooled turbo's.

Look in your wanted thread, I posted a link for a CL ad.

N/m on the CL ad, I just read your post.

Edited by Turbone