Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Napa starter motors/solenoids junk?

I just pulled a malfunctioning Napa starter motor and solenoid out of my 91 Legacy. It was getting to the point where I'd have to tap on it to get it to start once out of every 5 starts.

I'm wondering if it's wise to stay away from Napa starters and go OEM? I have no idea the age of the starter but it could be almost new. It might be under warranty but I don't want to put a new one in there if it'll just do the same thing.

Thanks

Edited by DavieGravy

Most starters that are not OEM are remanufactured. They're hit or miss because the remanufacturer only replaces what it needs in order to work again, and the replacement parts are not always of the same quality as OE. As a result, you might get one that lasts ten years, or you might get one that lasts ten minutes. At least most reman parts have a decent warranty period (most are lifetime). You have to compare time vs money. Does the money saved over an OE part make it worth the extra time to possibly have to replace this part again in a year?

Ex. In the case of the First Gen. Cadillac Northstar engine, Hell no, because the starter is under the intake manifold in the valley between the cylinder heads.

A Toyota camry 4cyl on the other hand, the starter can be changed in ten minutes because it's on the forward side of the motor and you can see it plain as day as soon as you open the hood. So that could be a yes situation because the time involved would be very little.

best bet for electrical stuff like starters and alternators is to have a local automotive electrical rebuilder rebuild them for you.

but yeah, to keep this one working you'll likely only need to clean the insides up really good and replace the brushes. really easy to do.

I've had the best results replacing the contacts and brushes in an OEM starter. Maybe find one at the junkyard in good shape or fixable. The local starter-alternator boyz that I deal with get around $30.00 to make one right again, if you don't want to DIY.

These guys tell me that Honda used the same starters on some, but I've never cross checked any numbers. If so, could be easier to find at the JY

I picked up a starter for 80 bucks at pep boys for my 98. I have 2 years on it. It did sound a little weaker then OEM when I installed but I have forgotten the real sound over the past 2 years. It works fine and it comes with a lifetime warrenty.

There are two OEM manufacturers of starters for Subies. I am not positive, but I think one is Nippon Denso, the other Mitsubishi. They are somewhat different from each other in design, but are interchangeable when it comes time to replace a starter. I replaced a starter on my 98 a couple of years back. The replacement works just fine. However, it is from a different manufacturer then what was on the car. It is much quieter then the one I took off the car, and my wife kept worrying that because it is so quiet, that it wasn't working properly. However, not the case. It starts the car every time, just quietly so.