Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Went to a wrecking yard yesterday to view Leggies, never know what is available. So, I spot this 96 OBW with OEM alloys with near new Hankook 205 X70X15 tires on the rims. The yard wants $200 for the 4 wheels and 4 tires? Is that a reasonable figure? Don't know anything about Hankook tires, to know if this Korean tire is good or not. Appreciate any advise. Thanks!

Subaru alloy wheels typically sell for around $300, but that's if you can find them. Sometimes it's just hard to come across a set for sale. So $200 is a fine deal, i'd buy them if i could for a friend.

if you needed tires that's a great deal. at $60 each plus installation even a set of cheap tires will cost more. if you have steel wheels then it's a no brainer to upgrade.

some of the OBW alloy wheels arent' really all that nice looking in my opinion so that comes into play as well since some are really nice. but either way, the tires alone and upgrade from steel to alloy are worth it.

just make sure the rubber isn't old and dry rotted, that's the only bad thing about unknown tires. even with full tread they can have horrible performance in the rain and snow if the rubber is old.

i believe there's a way to identify the manufacturing date of a tire by reading something off the side wall, but i've never done it.

The is a D.O.T. code on the sidewall of all tires. The 4 digits are the week and year of manufacture. ie: 2607 would be the 26th week of 2007.

That's a good deal on the wheels and tires assuming the tires are good. Anything over 6 years could be a problem as the tire can't handle stress and heat as it ages.

Also check for an even wear on all 4, you don't want to put mismatched diameter tires on your car either.

Thanks guys for the comments, my OBW already has alloy wheels on it. The tires are about shot. I have the Limited model, so the cut outs on the facing of the wheel have the gold paint. I might come out ahead buying the used alloys with new tires that look less than 3 months old, then selling my gold OBW wheels. Is there any demand for the gold facing 15" wheels?