Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone rebuilt their Power Steering pump.

97 Legato (Legacy 2.2 auto).

I have a pool of ATF upper right front of the engine, obviously from PS pump, occasionally needs refill.

I bought a cheap OEM pump rebuild kit, but thought I better ask around before removing a basically-fine-but-leaking-a-little working part and facing pointless difficulties that can be worked around merely by adding ATF every few weeks or so.

Is the remove-rebuild-replace a couple hour thing?

Thanks

mpergielwalkermi97legate99forester08forester

these things leak all the time at the oring between the reservoir and pump, i just did one a couple weeks ago. no need to mess with the pump at all, just remove the reservoir and replace the oring underneath. very simple and can be done in 30 minutes.

A lot of the ones I get are the rubber coated metal gasket which requires dis-assembly. A used on eis about the price of the rebuild parts at the dealer(about 20 bucks).

I just install a used one. I have torn apart a few to see what the issue was.

The OEM reseal kits are great.

The hardest part is pressing (or hammering) out the shaft and bearing.

Also, there is a bolt that uses a rubberized washer. It is INSIDE the pump resevior, and you must use an extension to remove and install it through the resevior cap/fill hole.

Many here are suggesting just replacing the o-rings on the resevior. That works sometimes, if it is just the resevior leaking. The full reseal is very easy and SOOOOOO satisfying once done.

As mentioned the OEM rebuild kits are pretty good and come with all the gaskets. In addition to the gaskets, I also replaced the bearing. It was relatively easy, just press it off and press the new one on. You just need to keep track of all the parts. Only thing I forgot was the spring behind the regulator/bypass valve on the discharge.

Here's some pics

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/psteeringpump/

As mentioned the OEM rebuild kits are pretty good and come with all the gaskets. In addition to the gaskets, I also replaced the bearing. It was relatively easy, just press it off and press the new one on. You just need to keep track of all the parts. Only thing I forgot was the spring behind the regulator/bypass valve on the discharge.

Here's some pics

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/psteeringpump/

Very impressive and educational. Thanks for the effort!

Interesting fact: there are two rebuild kits from Subaru for the PS pump on my Impreza. I bought them both when I did the repair and neither kit included the bearing! Just seals and gaskets. Apparently the bearing never wears out since it is immersed in PS fluid. Bearing in my pump was just fine after 140K miles, but I replaced it anyway.

Only problem I had was that the vanes can go back in two ways...the right way or the wrong way. Just watch how they were installed when you take the pump apart (you shouldn't need to remove the vanes....I just dropped it and everything came apart....but I figured out which way was the right way).

• 1 year later...