Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 81 Dual Carb.

Does anyone know where to get a true ea 81 dual carb engine? Just the make of the vehicle and year would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for the regular 73 hp, looking for the one with 90 plus hp without any modification. This is for a boat, so not looking for an expensive airplane engine. Thanks in advance.

In over 10 years of working on and owning Subaru's I've seen exactly 1 of these in person. And I'm not sure if it was an actual dual-carb with the reversed valve heads and twin exhaust ports or if it was simply an original dual-carb manifold (not easy to get either but there are some out there - the carbs on them are crap though) coupled to a modified USDM EA81. I'm pretty sure it was the latter though.

I have yet to see or hear of an actual full race spec EA81 dual-carb here in the US. I've seen pictures and there have been unverified reports, etc. The JDM dual carb was 108 HP, and the full race version was rumored to be around 150 HP.

You are highly unlikely to see one or be able to buy it for your boat. They are coveted and if anyone had one I doubt they would sell it for that purpose. If you want 90 HP with the EA bell-housing then you need look no further than the EA82 SPFI - you can pull off the fuel injection and install the carb manifold and a Weber if you wish. They were rated at exactly 90 HP and they are a dime a dozen.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I have a dual carb ea 81 now, but I have to rebuild it. They are hard to find in the US, but some surface around here from time to time. My friend purchased one from a website years ago. I am rebuilding his old one. The website he bought it from is in Japan, but now asks you for a vehicle and the year of vehicle. I had an ea 82, but had bad luck with the timing belt. It sucks when a timing belt breaks in the middle of the marsh. I am currently running a regular ea 81 with a weber.