Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alt change on 01 Forest , HELP TIPS PLZ [SOLVED]

Oh man I think it time for a new alt.

Can I expect bolts ands junk to break off or be siezed in place?

The whole engine and stuff is all aluminum with steel bolts for everything.

I know what a nightmare that can be with the little bit of aluminum used on American cars.

The belt tensioner looks to be the worse. If its stuck in place oh man $$$$$

When it came home yesterday I heard it making a funny high pitch noise.

But shurged it off till I woke up to find a note saying it was dead.

It does have the original battery but it has been flawless since bought.

Im scared to start ripping into it, but know a shop will care even less and just snap n break off bolts at will then charge up the yahoo to fix it.

Sure I will soak it down in PBblast n junk, apply heat but have dealt with aluminum brackets n steel bolts before. 90% of the time they snap and ya gotta drill them out as they have siezed/ welded in place.

Aluminum n steel like to bond over time.

Edited by Buick350X

Yeah just take a deep breath and don't worry about the bolts. You're not going to have problems with one this new and these bolts are way up out of the way of salt/debris/water.

The disconnect way is not a good way to test an alternator. That only tests output, but there's lots of other things that can fail or be intermittent.

You can have it tested at the store, auto zone, advanced, and other chain stores test them for free. You can have them test it on the car or take the alt to them.

If you jump start it you can test voltage if you have a multi-meter.

If it's making noise you can use a mechanics stethoscope ($10) to listen..or use a long dowel rod, screw driver that's a crude method to do the same thing. Touch it to the alternator, power steering, and a/c, close to the belt bearings, etc. You'll here whatever it is that has bad bearing, it'll be noticeably louder than all the rest. The mechanics stethoscope is the way to go but those crude methods do work, but it's harder if you've never done it before.

So you have lots of options, good lucdK!

Subaru has about the easiest alternator change of any car.

I can do the EA alternator replace in about 3 minutes

and ej take me about 6 mins from start of pulling old off to having new one on, belts included. reason it takes double time is the belt guard cover.

CAKE.

I have changed several Subie alternators, and have never had a problem loosening bolts. The alternator sits up high on the engine, so that area doesn't attract water or dirt, which causes bolts to seize up.

The belt tensioner system uses a threaded bolt, which works really well. Since you have to loosen the belt, you may want to look at the belt to see if it needs replacing. It is an ideal time to replace it.

You may want to replace that old battery. Better to replace now, before it dies on you at a bad time.

How many miles on your car? The newer alternators ('99-) hold up very well. My bet is that it's your 8-year-old battery.

All the rain in the midst of the recent heat wave is enough to send it over the edge. You can take both the battery and the alternator off and have them tested.

Edited by hohieu
typo

Well I think I can get the battery from my Firebird in there sideways as put in regular there is not enough slack in the + cable to reach.

Then go have the alt tested.

Why did Sub have to reverse the poles of the battery???

When 99% of all battries made and used in the US are one way, some engineere said hey lets make it backwards so its more special n cost more which equals fun.

No less annoying then our 80 Buick which is half metric n half standard bolts through out factory just for fun too.

Well the alt is good, must of made some extra noise maybe as it was powering the whole car when it got home yesterday.

And my $20 4yr old landfill battery in my Firebird checked out good too.

[Jeep threw out bunches of battries n guy I knew who worked there sold em for $20 each as they were still good.]

Subaru has about the easiest alternator change of any car.

I can do the EA alternator replace in about 3 minutes

and ej take me about 6 mins from start of pulling old off to having new one on, belts included. reason it takes double time is the belt guard cover.

CAKE.

+1 Super easy...not sure what year subie your talking about but if its a USDM boxer 4 from like 95-09 the adjuster bolt and lock bolt should both be 12mm..same with the long bolt that goes through the alt/ac bracket..

:lol: