Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front sway bar clunk (EA82, 4" lift, taller springs)

baccaruda

• 3 months later...
looking at where the bar is hitting the control arm in my loyale, I wonder if the sway bar mounts are further forward, relative the control arms, on an XT6....

just thought I'd bump this up. was changing the fluids in the new '6 today. and had a standard EA82 jacking plate on the ground nearby. held it up, and sure enough. the XT6 crossmember is probably about an inch wider than the EA82 one. So the sway bar is definitely further forward compared to the control arms.

Thanks Chux! You mean wider front to back? Any way you can tell me if the control arms are further forward or further apart?

Im sure he meant the crossmember is wider as in the width of the car, so the XT6 arms are farther apart on an XT6 than they are on your GL-10. SOOO, why dont you try an RX front swaybar? If you dont have one, I do, and I dont need it..... It would be the easiest way to solve the problem.

-Bill

Im sure he meant the crossmember is wider as in the width of the car, so the XT6 arms are farther apart on an XT6 than they are on your GL-10. SOOO, why dont you try an RX front swaybar? If you dont have one, I do, and I dont need it..... It would be the easiest way to solve the problem.

-Bill

nope, "wider" being front-to-back. so the sway bar is an inch or so further away from the control arms.

I would assume, since leading rods are interchangeable between '6s and EA82s, and ditto with driveshafts. that the control arms are in the same place relative the rest of the car. but the sway bar is just a bit further forward. so when you put a '6 sway bar on an EA82, the sway bar link ends up angled back a bit, and then the bend in the bar touches the control arm.

the setup on my wagon rubbed there, actually rubbing a noticeable notch in both control arm and sway bar.

Right, that's what I'd always thought. I'll see about putting an RX bar on it, I guess. I should have one somewhere. Thanks!

I would assume, since leading rods are interchangeable between '6s and EA82s, and ditto with driveshafts. that the control arms are in the same place relative the rest of the car.