Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I washed my a few evenings ago and let it dry out all night and the next day with the hood up and when I started it, everything was fine....for about 10 min. I had the battery light and brake light come on, along with the day time running lights flickering just like when an alternator is going bad. I have a scan guage and was reading anywhere from 12.5 (at idle) to 13.8 volts(when driving) I drove around for a day or two with no other problems and decided to take it to get the alt. load tested at advanced auto. The battery, alt. and drain test all passed.

Test results-

Alt no load - 13.51V 6.1A

Full Load - 13.29V 9.2A

Batt with car off - 12.71V

meassured 660 CCA

cranking voltage - 11.43V 145A

The DRL are the only lights to flicker, when driving at night with low or high beams, I have no problems but the batt and brake light are still on. Another thing to note is that the DRL DO NOT flicker at idle, only when you push on the gas pedal. Do you guys still think its the alt. or could it be something else?

Thanks guys!

Batt and brake light alone means alternator to me based on experience. Sometimes ABS light comes on as well. No matter what the test says.

I'd probably be carrying an extra alternator.

Unless someone has a better idea I still think that's your issue. Unless it's plain old loose connections, grounds, etc.

Something isn't right with the full load current you showed. It should be around 80 amps, not 9.2 amps.

Check the AC voltage across the battery while the engine is running around 2,000 RPM. If you see more than .1 volt the alternator needs to be replace. I suspect some diodes have gone bad in the alternator.

By your measurements, you are using a DVM. The output of your alternator is low. Not by much and might fool some mechanics, but your car and instruments support this fact also.

Here are the readings you should have according to the FSM:

post-366-136027634759_thumb.jpg