Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I looked at a 95 legacy wagon 5 spd today with 146k miles. Mechanically, it's in great shape and the guy has all the service records. The only problem is that the shifter is really loose and there is rust over the rear wheel wells. The rust is probably 3.5-4 inches long and 3 inches high. He wants 2150. Here's the link http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/1300058621.html

What do you guys think? I know you can't see the rust but there are holes about the size of a golf ball on each side. My buddy says he can fix the rust so is 2150 a good deal?

The rust issues could be benign or they could make the car unsafe, useless, or both in 2 years. Make sure to look for rust under the car and see how bad it is there, the sheet metal isnt' really a big deal....well, sort of:

Ask the guy to repair it well, like get as much rust out of there and treat it properly with converter before proceeding to finish and paint. Or else you'll just be right back where you started.

Loose shifter is common, most people deal with it, i believe you can replace the bushings to tigthen it up. Those bindings and parts may all be rusted up as well though, so might be a fun job.

Price seems high to me but depends what you're after and it is a good vehicle if it's maintained well. I'd put more value in it mentally the fewer owners it has.

Do you want it to be reliable and drive a lot of miles? What is the condition of regular maintenance/tune up items and can you fix those yourself? Brakes, timing belts (every 60,000 miles), plugs, wires, air filter, PCV valve, oil leaks, transmission oil ever changed? These are all things I do myself when i get a car.

I think the price is way high personally. I was toying with selling my 95 lego wagon for awhile now...and selling it for alot less. I agree with gary..check it over for rust real well...along with the maintenance of it.

For that price I believe it would have to be in darn near perfect shape. Here in NW Connecticut you can find 95s in that shape or better for $1800 and less.

The timing belt/water pump were done at 90k. The clutch and brakes were done last year along with the struts. The tires are good. The alternator has been replaced. The guy is the second owner and has a ton of maintenance records. It runs perfect and as far as I can tell will need nothing except the rust issue needs to be addressed.

The guy wouldn't budge on 2150 either. He said because he's maintained it really well. The rust didn't look that bad to me and I looked underneath and it seemed fine. I drove it a ways and it was a strong runner. I'm apprehensive because I don't know much about rust though.

Edited by PLRuney

my 95 legacy wagon has 280,000 miles on it and is running pretty good. it is a rust bucket now but it still gets us around. the engine is fine.

oh and the loose shifter is more than likely a bad/or missing centering spring that costs a couple bucks and 5 minutes of your time to replace.

It seems to run really strong, when I drove it it revved up to 5k rpms easily. I was just hoping he would budge on the price but he didn't. He posted it at 2250 and I offered him 1900 but he immediately said no. I already have a reliable car and I would be selling it after I buy this but I don't know if it will pass inspection with the rust holes or not. It was stickered last Nov. I just emailed him and asked him if he would get a new sticker for it, we'll see how that goes.

That area is very normal to have rust.. its common. I am one of the lucky few who have one without any rust there. Rust is fairly easy to fix and treat. Its something everyone in the Rusty areas should learn. Fix it now before it gets too cold and they start salting the roads.

I wouldnt mind seeing better pics of the rust to determine better.

that sounds like a good list of maintenance items.

The timing belt/water pump were done at 90k.
now we know why he's selling it. that's a 60,000 mile timing belt change interval engine so the next one is due at 150,000...hhmm, hhmm, hmm. AND - benig so "well maintained", he knows the timing belt is due.

having done dozens of these motors i can tell you the pulleys will need replaced as well, they're 15 years old and at least one (if not multiple) will be rough and devoid of grease. a new belt won't last if those bearings seize. the good news is ebay kits are ony $80 for the entire set, excellent deal.

if you're slighly mechanical you can do it yourself, they're no hard.

if he's selling it because of "excellent maintenance" and commanding a price tag then he needs to consider it's due for a timing belt which the dealer charges $699 for just the belt...not counting anything else that might be replaced while in there.

so he needs to make up his mind - replace the belt himself to get the "well maintained" price he's banking on or consider the next owner has an expensive bill looming and reduce the price.

he's trying to have his cake and eat it too.

still sounds like a nice car though, so it's likely to give years of good service. i'd personally want it to have a new water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses to protect it though.

Welcome, PL! Hey, I can't say enough good things about the '95 Legacy Wagon (but I'm extremely prejudiced--and I know it!!!)

The shifter slop is probably just bushings that are shot. Can be fixed, it's a bear of a job but doable. If you're interested it's been discussed a lot in the past--try a search, type in shifter bushings.

The price? Guess it depends on what they're going for in your area and how much it's worth to you. I'd certainly offer less however because of the rust and the shifter work needed. Make him an offer and wait patiently, if no one else wants to deal with the problems he'll come back to you.

Anyways, good luck, ask questions here and let us know how it goes.

I called the guy and left a message. I'm going to bring up the timing belt and ask him to lower the price and if he doesn't, I'll just pass on it. I think 1600 would be much more fair given the rust and the timing belt being due.

The 95 Legacy and Impreza are rock solid cars! Easy timing belt to replace and it's not an expensive job at all. Our dealers do belts here for $299.

I personally believe the 95 and 96 Subarus were the BEST years. Non -interference engine, so if you pop the belt, no worries. The engine is fine.