Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Concensus on why my Weber's acting up?

The usual 32/36 with the electic choke.

Before I tear into it. It sputters and jerks on any kind of hill or heavy acceleration. It was fine until I did a really steep hill climb.

Floats right? Fixable or replaceable?

Good source for a rebuild kit?

Probably best directly from Redline if they sell one. I think they are even out near you.

My Bad, torrence, california but all the same they list repair parts and such.

Sounds like float to me I hope Jerry DeMoss will reply he knows these well.

I think float also. If you have a brass float in it, I wonder if one of the floaty parts on the float has a hole in it? May be solved by a new float. Also I would see if both of the floaters are in line with the one another.

Let us all know what you find when you open it up and have a look.

The usual 32/36 with the electic choke.

Before I tear into it. It sputters and jerks on any kind of hill or heavy acceleration. It was fine until I did a really steep hill climb.

Floats right? Fixable or replaceable?

Good source for a rebuild kit?

Carbs Unlimited in Fife has everything you might need. Ken could even pick it up for you; real close to Delta Cam.

http://www.carbsunlimited.com; might have moved to Auburn, but google shows the Fife location also.

Edited by edrach

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be low fuel pressure. It would idle fine and run well at low rpms, but once you got into it, sputter sputter. Now I have an aftermarket pump and a regulator so I could dial it in just right. No more problems. You could install a fuel pressure gauge at the carb ($5) just to make sure you have enough pressure, good to have one anyway.

Thanks you guys.

Carbs Unlimited in Fife has everything you might need. Ken could even pick it up for you; real close to Delta Cam.

http://www.carbsunlimited.com; might have moved to Auburn, but google shows the Fife location also.

They say that one will be in later this week. . . I wonder if they deliver. Shoulda asked. Probably, if I have them bring it to my work. hmm Today is my free day to drive long distances. lol

Rebuild kit i only 29 bucks for the deluxe one.

this all started after the hill climb

well I dont think it the weber I think its you fuel supply.

reason Why It happened to me also , Instead just change the filter and blow out the lines

I hit a bump knocked some crud loose pluged the filter it was a new filter maybe 2500 miles

just my 2 cents

Well, replaced the fuel filter in the engine bay just for shnits and giggles.

Wasn't that. Might try the fuel pump that was in the hatch tomorrow at work if it gets slow enough. Aready took the float and sending unit out of the hatch to fix a faulty gage.

Cat maybe?

The filter in the engine bay is really a "vapor seperator" although it does have a filter element as well - the one that actually traps debris is the one before the pump back near the tank. How does that one look?

Have you tested your fuel pressure? It would be worth it to throw on a $5 gauge and see what you are putting out. The stock fuel pumps only put out around 1 to 1.5 psi. Sometimes it's not enough for the Weber if they are starting to drop in pressure.

Pull the supply line to the carb and wire the fuel pump to run - see what kind of volume you are getting into a bucket.

No sense tearing the carb down till you know for sure the problem isn't simply poor fuel supply.

GD

The filter in the engine bay is really a "vapor seperator" although it does have a filter element as well - the one that actually traps debris is the one before the pump back near the tank. How does that one look?

GD

EA81 book (hayes manual) says my wagon only has one (under hood) later today ill be lookin at the tank area.

EA81 book (hayes manual) says my wagon only has one (under hood) later today ill be lookin at the tank area.
The Haynes manual is the one reason why the actual fuel filter never gets looked at. GD is correct; check the fuel filter that's located next to the fuel pump.

One time I replaced a fuel filter on an '84 wagon I bought and the date code indicated the filter had been manufactured 12 years earlier!!

Well.

I changed out the rear filter. I think maybe that was the problem. First clue was teh rust pouring out of the old one on the intake side. (out flow was clear)

Tried a big hill. HELL YEAH!

I'll drain the tank and flush it and change it again.

Want to use a tank thats already out and pretty much empty?

I have one out of my Brat you can have for free. I just need to get rid of it.

If Zap doesn't take it, I will. I've got your O2 sensor thingy. Give me a call when it's convenient.