Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Strange drifty feeling in high speed turns

Driving from Portland to Oakland I started noticing a vague sort of feeling when making high speed sweeping turns around 70mph or so and only when turning right. Felt like the car wanted to turn more or dive or something like that. Hard to explain. Turning left in the next sweeper on I-5 seems totally fine. 174,000 miles, '96 outback wagon. Had the tire pressure topped off at 35 psi just prior to leaving. I asked the guy if that was too much and he said 'no'. I'm pretty sure my cv assembly needs replacing so is this something related? Thanks.

If your cv axle is known bad it's always good to go ahead and address that first.

i've had wavering steering from warn out steering rack bushings before. they're easy to replace and cheap too.

end links will defintely cause wavering. and strut top mounts can cause pulling but would usually also give some light thumping noises on slow turns.

Could be a lot of things. My legacy feels about like the Titanic when I take any kind of curve at speed. But it has worn trailing arm bushings, worn sway bar bushings, worn shocks, springs. Just about everything in the rear suspension is worn out come to think of it.

Did you have any extra weight in the back of the car for this trip?

Could be a lot of things. My legacy feels about like the Titanic when I take any kind of curve at speed. But it has worn trailing arm bushings, worn sway bar bushings, worn shocks, springs. Just about everything in the rear suspension is worn out come to think of it.

Did you have any extra weight in the back of the car for this trip?

No. Just a small suitcase. Tires in good shape too. Will be taking it to the shop. Just wondering what was going on to get a sense of what it might be.

my experience shows about 165k is the mile mark the back struts seem to go weak that you can notice it in turns and bumps.

replaced my former TW struts at 160, my current turbo leg about the same........

Normal wear item. so much better ride after new. makes the car seem like new again, and new tires makes it all that much better.

Nipper was referring to both. :)