Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone have a on-line source for Gates belts or better? Blu just passed inspection (amazes me at 256,000 miles sometimes) and the dealer on the invoice recomended belts. Metric Subaru doesnt try to sell you anything verbally which is cool. I've noticed my belts squeel a but and i did replace one with a crappy autochain part store chineese junk one since it was about to break. It lasted all of three months (the belt was junk, so its not Blu's fault).

The stores around here seem to sell junk belts.

nipper

Nipper, IMO I have had good luck with chain auto store belts for Subies. The trick is to buy the best quality belt they sell. I have not gone wrong with Goodyear Gatorback, or Gates belts. Don't waste your money on cheap belts. Like you say, cheap belts just don't hold up.

For belts, I don't have patience to buy one on line, and wait days for delivery. Usually, when I need and want a belt it is "right now."

Nipper, IMO I have had good luck with chain auto store belts for Subies. The trick is to buy the best quality belt they sell. I have not gone wrong with Goodyear Gatorback, or Gates belts. Don't waste your money on cheap belts. Like you say, cheap belts just don't hold up.

For belts, I don't have patience to buy one on line, and wait days for delivery. Usually, when I need and want a belt it is "right now."

Thats how i got stuck with the cheap belt. When a belt breaks on a sunday afternoon you grab what you can get. And that is all they had.

nipper

I have not gone wrong with Goodyear Gatorback, or Gates belts.

Those are the only two belts I will buy, unless I'm in a pinch.

Rockauto should carry the Gates. Autozone usually has the Gatorback available for order online. Locally You can probably find Gates at a Federated Auto parts store, or Napa.

I used to run gates belts and hoses. They are difficult to obtain locally anymore.

I have been using Dayco for several years with no issues for timing and accessory belts. Radiator hoses as well.

The "house brands" I have only bought one time to get a car home at Advance. It was crap.

I'm feeling better about the Dayco belts and hoses as several I've installed in Subaru's and VW's have 100k+ on them.

Probably 6 years ago I had issues with a gates hose and belt in the same week. Until that unlucky week that had always served me well. Never tried the Goodyear products but the place I buy my idlers from online I believe has them as an option now. So perhaps it's worth checking with them "theimportexperts.com".

the alt/ps belt can be found in my neighborhood at the following:

gates @ bumper-to-bumper for $12.46

gatorback @ autozone for $26.37

yes , i know saturday has come and gone, i should have posted yesterday.

oh well.

if i was going to break out the tools to adjust the squeeling belt, i may as spend the 12$, replace it, and not have to adjust it yet again in six months.