Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best way to wire back up lights

backcountrycrui

Been doing some searching this evening as to the best way to wire up back up lights. Do you all think that it would be ok to splice into the original back ups' harness? That way they come on automatically. When I build my roof basket I will have some general purpose lights facing the rear on it as well, and they will be on a switch.

Mike

If it were my project (and I wanted automatic backup lights), I would splice into the original backup harness and use the hot line to trigger a relay.

same here...

you want to keep at least the stock ones on the auto-switch... you could wire aux ones to a switch...

but I like the idea of maybe have some low aux ones and the stocks on the auto-switch and then some high ones on a manual switch...

an override to turn them all on would be nice as well, for when you're coasting back down a hill, but that'd just be extra work for something you won't use much...

You got me thinking, the best way to wire up the lights, mostly for human error, would be to wire up a "Off Road" light harness with one main switched power for all the extra lights and functions (like compressor for air or 120v converter or whatever), but, use the stock wiring harness to relay the on/off functions. That way you (I)wouldn't blind the person behind you when your at the mall or play with your clutch at a light and get pulled over for forgetting you left something on. Yet, with the flick of one switch you have all your extra offroad stuff functioning or at least ready to turn on. Then you could isolate your extra consumption and fuse it seperately as well as being able to track problems that occur over time.

Edited by Yo'J
the future

You got me thinking' date=' the best way to wire up the lights, mostly for human error, would be to wire up a "Off Road" light harness with one main switched power for all the extra lights and functions (like compressor for air or 120v converter or whatever), but, use the stock wiring harness to relay the on/off functions. That way you (I)wouldn't blind the person behind you when your at the mall or play with your clutch at a light and get pulled over for forgetting you left something on. Yet, with the flick of one switch you have all your extra offroad stuff functioning or at least ready to turn on. Then you could isolate your extra consumption and fuse it seperately as well as being able to track problems that occur over time.[/quote']

I LIKE IT!!1:grin: