Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX front air dam - valance halves, custom mounting

Here are some pictures of the front valance pieces that the 87-89 RX uses behind the front air dam. I mentioned to Justin that I'd post these and I figured that a thread in general reference would be better than posting in his parts wanted thread.

The RX front air dam uses a modified version of the front valance. Many of us have seen how the normal valance attaches; 3 bolts along the bottom of each fender, integration with the skid plate underneath, and a few bolts along the front that attach to the radiator support.

It's not uncommon for someone buying a front air dam to receive only the air dam and not the valance parts; many sellers don't know that the RX valance is unique and should be included with the front air dam for proper installation.

The RX front air dam's valance is manufactured with the same parts as the "normal" valance. The "normal" valance is a 3 piece composite with 2 symmetrical outer parts and one longer middle part, all spot-welded together. On most EA82 cars, the longer middle part is what is bolted to the radiator support (and skid plate).

The RX uses the two outer "wings" and omits the center part as the air dam effectively replaces it and bolts to the radiator support with a special center bracket. The wings have a couple of small right-angle brackets attached to them that in turn bolt to the radiator support of the RX. You can therefore make the "wings" out of a stock valance by removing the center section and improvising the support brackets against the pictures below.

Here are a few pictures of the "wings;" (driver's side only) I will add a picture of their mounting location on the radiator support later. On a non-RX there will NOT be captive nuts welded to the car so they will have to be added or bolted through the holes.

rxvalance001.jpg

The two holes in the vertical face of the bracket bolt to the radiator support; the two in the horizontal face attach to the air dam itself.

rxvalance002.jpg

rxvalance003.jpg

I'm also working on a custom installation for a front air dam. As many of you know, I'm running a lifted wagon that sees limited off-road use but makes up for it during the winter. I'm engineering a way to make the front air dam quickly removable and I will update this thread as I make progress with this project.

Right now I'm probably looking at using Dzus fittings of some sort. I'm OK with the idea of having the air dam look like it's held on with hood pins as long as it's well done. Between that, the lift, and the hood pins on the hood, I'll just start telling people the car's got a Hemi or something :lol::banana:

just make up some new model name and throw a number in... 'yeah it's a Subaru LM 5500' if they have to ask they don't know what they're looking at and 2) any answer you give them is going in one ear and out the other :rolleyes:

this post is interesting, as usual my car is some mongloid in-between... I had thought I had an RX style air dam, but my sheetmetal 'wings' are smaller...

like the other poster I had modified mine in the snow and have been running without half the supporting structure... matter of fact, when you saw the car at Monstaru's house it had the hammered in and back out fender, it is out of position to tie it all back together underneath, about 3/4" too far in on the lower corner

don't know what Dzus fasteners you have in mind, I used to install 'cam locks' manufactured by Dzus, is that what you meant? 1/4 turn the head pops up and releases from the socket?

post more pics Andy, this is useful stuff

Cam locks, exactly.

More pics will have to wait for a few days but this weekend I hope to twist the studs out of the sides' mounting plates and get them screwed onto the sides of the fenders with jack nuts. My idea involves separating them from the plastic air dam because unbolting them from insides the fenders is *mildly* annoying. Gotta try and wrap up the '01 OBW first though, and fix my wagon's axles. Again. STAY TUNED.