Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bone stock 1986 gl-10 dyno graph then added IC

Hey,

Always wanted to post one of these, finally had the chance to get a dyno done.

picture.php?albumid=132&pictureid=1544

Sorry for the reduced size if anyone is collecting these things I can e-mail the original, along with the other runs I did (4 total)

Stuff about the car, 1986 gl-10 wagon. 200 miles on rebuild, bearings, rings, pistons, rattly cats, exhaust all original. The test was performed in 4th gear on a 85/86 RX dual range transmission (not AWD) boost gauge showed 6psi during all runs.

Second higher HP/Trq run was performed with intercooler installed, to show the effect.

I plotted the AF at 10x so it could be readable.

Dyno was indeed a Superflow, but I think its the eddy current type, trust me the subi didn't seem to stress it much, and it has way more capabilities than my needs.

I will work on getting the e-mails out ASAP

The best way to look at the data is to download the viewer, I will include the .sfd files and a link to their site.

Nope haven't run the Legacy yet, the dyno is 2wd only so I would have to figure a way around that, btw the Legacy's been running like a top.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Edit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the latest graphs in STP format instead of SAE (original graph), I am not sure what the exact difference is but if you look at the data with the viewer you can toggle between the two.

Edited by Subi81
screwed it up

okay hard to read and kind of small

so could you post the numbers?

before after etc.

top mount? front mount? hard pipes added?

oh... of course pics!

just realized I have zoom on mozilla, DUHR.

Edited by zukiru
I iz a dumm azz

Junkie, will do.

zukiru

Intercooler was out of an Audi 5000. Made into a top mount, hard piping with a blocked off Volvo by pass valve (IC was installed in a hurry for testing). The runs were done with the hood up and the intercooler fans on. IC Fans are two Spal 6.5 pull fans mounted on the bottom of the IC. In the excitement of the runs I didn't get any quantitative data on IC inlet/outlet temps but the inlet defiantly got hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold, outlet just got warm. If I had a fan blowing ambient air onto the IC I am sure the runs would have been more consistent, and true to real life road going, but eh I had my car bolted to a gigantic machine inside a shop doing 95mph, so it might be moot anyways?

Max output none intercooled:

SAE HP = 77.2

SAE Tq = 107.4

Max output intercooled:

SAE HP = 81.3

SAE Tq = 119.7

So just looking at the numbers the IC added 4.1 HP and 12.3ft-lbs

Mind you that doesn't sound like much but that is at the same boost pressure, roughly 6 psi.

Pics of the setup will follow.

• 5 months later...

im really thinking of getting a starion intercooler and front mounting it, for longevity. every honda on the block will think i want to race them though, lol. i thought about top mount but having that sucker absorbing the heat of the motor its sitting above. :P thought about adding a scoop but then it looks faster than it is :banana: