Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'99 Outback rear hatch latch stuck,

i have to use my key to open the rear hatch of my '99 outback wagon. While technically functional, I have to use two hands, one on the key, the other on the latch in order to open it. Parcels need to be put down before I can open the hatch. Winter is coming and there are parcels I carry that I do not want to put down in mud, slush or snow. How do I fix it?

SEARCH!

Common issue if it's due to rust.

I forget but try pulling the handle out THEN lock and unlock from the power lock botton or remote. Then pull on the handle again and it will probably open. If that doesn't work try the opposite. Push the handle IN while the hatch is down, lock and unlock using the power botton/remote whatever then try and open it again.

Relatively inexpensive and somewhat easy fix. I want to say the parts are still less than 40 bucks. Assuming it's the typical rust issue.

check the archives here for many past posts on this subject. I replaced my outside latch on my 99 OBW a few months back. It is an easy job. Bought replacement handle on line for about $35. My old one was ruined by rust, prolly the same problem with yours. Good luck fixing yours.