Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Restrain me

After having the Brat's clutch go out, both front CV axles tear boots and throw grease everywhere, the passenger-side strut and rear shock give up, and all of this happening within days of each other...

...Now the $*@#^!% rear axles are tearing their CV boots apart. I just found the first signs of grease splatters on the shocks, light tears in the boots, and have had a few clunks from the back in the last couple of days. Adios Weber conversion for a good while. Right now I'm about ready to take it out back along with my .45 and make the problem go away permanently.

Let this be a reminder to anyone purchasing a low-mileage vehicle that it doesn't necessarily mean that the previous owners kept up with maintenance. While I expect a 23-year-old vehicle to need attention, everything I've had to replace so far (where markings could be seen, anyway) has been factory-original. Yes, it all held up well for that length of time - but it all also hit the point of self-destruction at around the same point.

It's a good thing I'm obsessed with these oddball little trucklets or I swear I'd use it to test whether or not thermite really can cut through an engine block.

tell me about it, ive blown up 3 driveshafts, rebuilt 2 of them, which also decided to go bang, ruined a tailgate (which really pissed me off because it was mint) ran over a rally mudflap in reverse and pulled my front wing down by about 2 inches, and is now rusting, and set alight to my bonnet, not to mention the fuelling problems (about 18mpg on a good day), the engine burning 2 litres of oil a week, all of it

bit i still love it and am having all the problems solved as i type, costing me literally several thousand pounds altogether and several more to go no doubt, but thats why i love it.....strange aint it.....lol!

Nature of the beast. Its a 20+ year old car. Its not going to be without problems. Even if the former owner kept up on maintenance and its got low mileage it does not mean that it wont have those sorts of problems if you start to drive it daily. I have replace both axles twice on my subaru along with a host of other things and i just hit 90k alittle while ago (EA81 sedan) so i understand where your coming from. But look at it this way....as long as the engine and transmission and rear are in good shape I wouldnt worry too much. Its still cheaper than buying new...sorta lol.

Nature of the beast. Its a 20+ year old car. Its not going to be without problems. Even if the former owner kept up on maintenance and its got low mileage it does not mean that it wont have those sorts of problems if you start to drive it daily.

It took me a long time to learn this with a Brat that I use to own. I wish I would never have done it.

It took me a long time to learn this with a Brat that I use to own. I wish I would never have done it.

Yea i still havent learned it lol. I love my EA81. Ive replaced just about everything and know how to fix it when it breaks (which thankfully does not happen too frequently now that ive dumped a ton of cash in it). Once well maintained they are great cars. They all need some lovin at this point though.

same happened to me on a 118k mile brat

second day i had it i had to rebuild the carb,

the list is :

Carb rebuild

New OEM Thermostat

New WaterPump-old one began to leak a week after i got the car

New Front MWE Axles-old ones banged

New front Ball Joints-you guessed it, old were shot and ripped

Outback Limited Leather Seats installed

Removed dog hair from inside carpet and vents

POR-15 entire underside

Herculined bed

4” Lift kit with new rear shocks

LSD rear conversion, clutch type

15” Pugs with 205/75/15 Baja AT’s

Front PushBar/Brush Guard install, then remove then new paint for pushbar

Hella H4 conversion lamps, and H1 Hella conversion hi beams

New heater core valve

Removed nest from blower area

New dash speakers

Custom Diamond Plate tailgate trim

OEM front skidplate custom fit for 4” lift and brushguard

USMB stickers for tailgate

Fixed topper hinge, and installed locking “T” handle

New fuel filters both of them

heater control valve leaking, new one of them

oil changes.

Greased the bearings with new.

Fixed washer pump and cleaned clogged nozzles

burned the clutch out at 120k stuck in a snow drift 8 feet deep,

replaced clutch, resurface flywheel, new throwout etc.

couldnt get used to the hard as heck to push clutch pedal, so install new clutch cable, old one was stretched.

install cyclops light

weber install since the carb still sucked after rebuild

4spoke steering wheel to get rid of the UFO wheel

etc etc etc..............

I love my BRAT it now has 124,xxx miles and its finally a daily driver. taking it out of state for the first time this weekend, off to KC to get a turbo crossmember and goodies, hopefully i will score yet another ej22t

Edited by bheinen74

The good news is that when you become an old-hand at the EA series cars, and you have a nice supply of parts cars and shelves full of parts it gets a lot cheaper.

My '83 hatch has 240k on it and within about a month of bringing it online for a daily driver I replaced both axles (EMPI - $58 each), new water pump, new oil pump, rebuilt a carb for it, new hoses all around, new belt, new clutch and accelertor cables, new engine and tranny mounts, new brakes, and various other misc. items. With the exception of the water pump which started weeping from the shaft seal (replaced before it stranded me of course) - ALL of those items were done as PREVENTATIVE maintenance - none of them outright failed on me. I knew they had to be done and every pay-day a few more items were checked off the list. The car was bought for $250 and I probably still have less than $1000 into it. I has NEVER left me stranded - of course it's not without issues - 3rd gear syncro is almost gone, one cylinder has low comp., etc.

It's all about knowing what you can ignore, and what you need to address before it fails. I started with a car that had very high mileage, had been parked for 3 years, and neglected by it's owners prior to that. With care, a trained eye, and proper priorities, it was no problem to bring it online again.

GD