Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing the Headliner Material

I have the perforated leatherette-type material in my headliner. It was pristine ('86 wagon) until a couple of years ago when some #!*&$@!!! broke into the car and scraped holes all over it, leaving black scuff marks along with the gouges.

I know where to buy the replacement material but is it possible to peel off the old stuff from the molded headliner and replace with the new or do I have to replace the entire headliner? I will have the work done in a professional shop but at this point I'm trying to get an idea of total cost.

Let us know what kind of car you're dealing with; you might add it to your signature. It would probably be easiest to get another headliner from someone else or from a junkyard, seeing as how easy it is to find parts cars in the PNW.

I said '86 wagon in my post, with the perforated leatherette material. What else should I include?

Friend of mine did his with the headliner fabric kit sold in major parts stores and some 3M spray glue and it looks fantastic, I even thought of letting him do mine. It is allot of work though to remove all the moldings in order to get it right :) Good luck.

I'll let the upholstery shop do all the work. Nothing I could tackle.

The new material is $35.00 a yard at J. C. Whitney and a yard is 54" wide, which is a generous width. And free shipping over $75.00. I haven't taken measurements of my headliner yet.

No links sorry just head down to Autozone or Pep boys and look in the carpet section :)

The closest of either of those are 50 miles away from me. Not worth a 100-mile round trip drive. I like to order off the internet.

The place I'd order from will send me fabric samples first, so I can see what I'd be ordering.