Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza + XT6 front parts. Information.

Caboobaroo

Well I just had the fun weekend of swapping the suspension on my XT6. I stuck with the XT6 front knuckles since I didn't have the Impreza stuff to go into the car. So I put the Impreza struts on the XT6 knuckles and I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy.

I got coilover sleeves off of ebay and had a set of KYB GR2s for an Impreza, spent about 2 1/2 hours a side and it was a real pain. The XT6 knuckle is about 1/16th of an inch wider then the strut. Doesn't sound like a lot but makes a lot of work to get it to fit. Had to grind down the knuckle a bit for it to barely slide onto the knuckle and after a lot of hammering, I was able to finally get it over the knuckle and bolted up.

If you plan on using XT6 front parts, DON'T! Just go get the Impreza parts for the front and make it easier on yourself. Granted, you'll still need the XT6 control arms but thats all you'd need. I'm going to end up using the Impreza parts on the front end eventually but I had to do something now since both front struts were totally blown and made the ride very uncomfortable.

I found a deepwell socket that was about 2mm wider than the XT6 knuckle. and used a hydraulic press to force it into the brackets on the impreza struts. only took me about 15 minutes a side.

I used the XT6 bolts though, makes camber kind of a shot in the dark.....I had planned on putting EJ knuckles on it, before some broad totalled my baby :mad:

This is why I scrapped all of my XT6 stuff up front and just swapped in impreza WRX junk.

Now I have a garage full of XT6 stuff. I think all I ended up using was the rear hubs and that's it.

I'm going to through it all up for sale soon. I hope someone wants it.

This is why I scrapped all of my XT6 stuff up front and just swapped in impreza WRX junk.

Now I have a garage full of XT6 stuff. I think all I ended up using was the rear hubs and that's it.

I'm going to through it all up for sale soon. I hope someone wants it.

What did you use for lower control arms?

• 4 weeks later...

I used a bolt with two nuts to spread the flanges wayyyy apart. Actually went together rather painlessly.

Instead, my advice is to lift both sides of the car. I only had one side up and could not get my Legacy struts in because the sway bar was holding my knuckle up. Once I got the second side up, it slid right on.