Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got the Outback!!! (Pics page 2)

went and had a look at a '96 5-spd Outback with 186,000 miles. It was in Idaho until 2001 and they have all the service records and a full carfax report. It's in GREAT condition inside and out. Everything works except for the 12v socket in the front. It has a 5 disc CD changer under the passenger side front seat and Clarion CD player. It also has the coveted non-interference EJ22. No apparent leaks either and mostly garage kept. They're the 2nd owners but the original owners had it until 2006.

What are all you Outback owners getting for mileage with the 2.2 and the 5spd? I'm really hoping for about 30mpg highway but have heard I should expect closer to 26-27. And what kind of RPMs would I be turning at say, 70? It seemed quick so I'm guessing kinda high. And are there any aftermarket rear swaybars or something from another Soob that's thicker? I'd like a little less body roll. I'll post pics sometime near the end of the week if I pick it up.

Edited by Subaru_dude

Sounds like a nice ride if the price is right. Don't think sway bars are available. Prolly needs shocks/struts at all four corners to firm up the ride. Recommend KYBs.

If you check the fuse to the cig lighter, and it is good, then like my 99 OBW, the problem is with the cig lighter receptacle. Replace, or do what I did, bend the prongs down to by pass the resistor thingie in the receptacle.

If the motor is running strong, then figure 250 to 300K miles is the running life of a 2.2 motor before replacement.

'96 Outback wagon 5 spd. Low 30's on the freeway in California. A little less on the freeway in Oregon. Eventhough it's a 16 gallon tank, I end up filling it with about 11 gallons +/- a gallon even when the warning light comes on so there must be more fuel available, but I'd rather not chance it. (wow, I actually was able to contribute to a thread and not just ask questions)

'96 Outback wagon 5 spd. Low 30's on the freeway in California. A little less on the freeway in Oregon. Eventhough it's a 16 gallon tank, I end up filling it with about 11 gallons +/- a gallon even when the warning light comes on so there must be more fuel available, but I'd rather not chance it. (wow, I actually was able to contribute to a thread and not just ask questions)

Low 30s sounds good. I like the idea of a bigger tank too. My Impreza needs a fill-up every 11 gallons (about 350 miles). With a 120 mile a day commute, it seems like I'm filling up every couple of days. I very much preferred the interior on the Outback over the Imprezas too.

Yeah the price is right for around here. $2800 in excellent condition. KBB value is $4,040.

I seen your post on facebook this morning before leaving the house for work. I was very surprised to see that you picked another Subaru up. This man buys a Subaru every few weeks. He just bought a EA82 touring wagon the other day.

Jordan, I can't wait to see pics.

Jordan, that thing is a beauty. I can't wait to see it.

Cars that you currently own (best of my knowledge).

96 Outback

93 Impreza Wagon

93 Impreza Coupe

EA82 Touring Wagon

Various EA82 sedans

Just gave the Impreza wagon to my nephew (still in the family at least), the coupe is for sale, I'm keeping the touring wagon and I only have one EA82 sedan but lots of parts.

That Touring wagon suprises me. I've been driving it for about 3 weeks now and it does just fine on the interstate. 70-75 for an hour straight and still averages just under 30mpg. If I slow down to 65 I can manage 32mpg.

Sweet ride! My '96 Outback 2.2, 5spd gets 30mpg average with a 100 mile, mostly hwy commute at 70 mph with some stop and go traffic. It's been getting that for the 2.5 years that I've been doing that drive. With winter gas I see a drop down to 29 average, but that's not much of a change. I did see a drop down to 25 this last winter. It had had a recent tuneup so I replaced the front 02 and I was back up to 29.

188 miles to 7.01 gals of gas. 26-27mpg. Half was highway, half stop and go/backroads with a/c on about half the time. I'm pretty impressed. The Impreza was only slightly better than that and it had no a/c. We'll see how I do straight highway. That 6 disc CD changer is SWEET. The cruise is sweet, the sound is sweet, it's super comfortable... this car is awesome.

I've gotta say, this is only my 2nd new gen Subaru but judging by the way this thing drives with 186,000 miles on it, it must have been one hell of a car brand new. I'm guessing it'll take another 200,000 to depreciate to the point my Impreza is now lol.