Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just how hard is it to get a Subaru Serviced?

I'm looking at buying a 2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon, but my Dad is trying to talk me into getting a Ford because of the greater ease and cheapness of repairs.

I do a lot of long distance driving and I live in Canada.

Any horror stories? Breakdowns on the side of the road with no Subaru capable mechanic for miles? Or is it really possible to get your subaru serviced in rural areas?

Also, any thoughts on what is the best year for the Legacy? I have heard bad things about 200-2002, but was hoping 2003-2004 would be ok. Thoughts?

Canada is a big place. We need to know where in canada.

I love subarus, but if i lived in Nevada i would get a ford or a chevy for this reason, but being in NY the subaru is better.

Also look up in your phone book under subaru, see how many dealers are around.

Generally any good shop can service a subaru. Even the computers arent that hard to repair. the only down side is the parts are pricey, since they are not made in canada.

nipper

Good Point. I live in Toronto. There are plenty of places in Toronto to service the car. But I'll be driving it specifically for road trips (touring with my band) and so drives out to Halifax are certainly in the mix, as well as to Vancouver. Without the band I already do a lot of driving to Northern Ontario - North Bay, Algonquin, Killarney, etc.

I love that when my Ford broke down in Nevada and Northern Ontario I was able to fix it. I don't love that it broke down alot.

How much more expensive would you say the parts are? 30%? 50%

heheh i broks down in NV too, the ALT went, and there were none to be found in the entire state.

I limped to the next "big" town.

i may be wrong, but i am seeing 50% more. on the plus side you dont need them often. Parts are more of a maint issue and not a repair issue (meaning you wont need them ASAP).

is there a AAA in canada? no matter what you get I would join it.

i find the cost comparisons rather benign and not something that applies to all vehicle comparisons. i don't really see it for newer cars folks are taking to the dealers. in general an alternator, knock sensor, brake job....typical or most likely repairs are not going to be that big of a difference.

my friends 2003 GM MAF sensor needed replaced to the tune of $300 for the part (replaced it himself). so yeah, i guess that's quite a big price difference since a 2003 Subaru MAF sensor would never fail in the first place :lol::lol::lol:!

on the Ford you'll likely have more repairs, i'd rather have more reliability than less.

you're not likely to "get stranded" with no one to work on the car. i mean brake, suspension, steering stuff, electrical (starter, alternator) is all similar functionally speaking. and engine wise, most common issues are going to be obvious - Knock sensor, Plugs/wires (cylinder misfire), O2 issues....you're not going to get stranded with no one that knows how to fix the car, that's a bit presumptuous i think.

and now that they don't make the EA82 any more timing belts are even easy :lol::lol::lol:

Good to know Grossgary. I think I was a little frightened to see the way in which the quality of the legacy seems to have dipped (according to consumer review aggregates, edmunds.com) in the beginning of the decade, but do you think the 2004 is worthwhile?

The whole reason I wanted a legacy is my jealousy at my friend's legendary '98. Still going strong, no breakdowns, solid as a rock.

EJ25's (available in many legacy's in the late 90's in the US and standard in all 2000+ legacy's) was a bit of a low spot. Worst engine in terms of reliability/maintenance cost that Subaru made in a very long time due to head gasket issues. And piston slap and rod knock...all way more prevalent in this motor than any other Subaru ever made. Those things carry rather large price tags and don't make happy consumers.

And you don't have to read my opinion or listen to debates from folks that don't know what they're talking about - just search google or your fav engine and you'll find all sorts of info on these problems. Or check out Subaru's own extended head gasket warranty campaign.

Sometimes reviews are limited in scope since buying, purchasing, marketing, and reporting are all very dynamic processes. An entire book could be written about demographics, marketing, usage, reporting...etc. Most cars rated highly are the kind that don't get any miles put on them. A convertible mercedes high end whatever...yeah, i bet they're all seeing heavy duty useage - snow, rain, mud, gravel, hauling...not hardly. that's just the tip of the proverbial ice berg though and goes much deeper, you'll just have to read those reviews and keep them in mind as you compare all avenues. they're just one tool of many, not to be relied on 100%.

Anyway - in general a 2004 legacy should be a very nice ride. Don't let it overheat, run out of oil, change your timing components on time (every 100,000 miles) and it should hold up very well with only minimal repairs. Most subarus, this one included make 200,000 miles no problem.

Edited by grossgary

On any car that you drive long distances in, the trick is to the schedualed maint sooner then later, that way you can catch problems before they break.
yep - a 1989 Subaru XT6 as daily driver as a "critical" employee and a 120 mile round trip commute breaking down was not an option. it's all about preventative maintenance...oh and i had a few other Subaru's in case!

this board will probably help you more than anything - knowing what to look for and when/what to do.

yep - a 1989 Subaru XT6 as daily driver as a "critical" employee and a 120 mile round trip commute breaking down was not an option. it's all about preventative maintenance...oh and i had a few other Subaru's in case!

this board will probably help you more than anything - knowing what to look for and when/what to do.

hehe i was one of those too with a 110 mile round trip commute. mine was a 1987 GL hatch. What killed that was rust, but since i always perfomed maint early, it ran like a champ till the very end.

nipper

If you have Canadian Tire, you can find parts. They cost a bit more, they are required a bit less. Normal maintenance stuff is easier or the same to do as North American cars.

You will love being able to put the entire sound system into the car, and instruments, and a passenger, and getting to your gigs in a snowstorm. And getting 30 MPG (imperial) on the highway to boot (except in the blizzard).

Rob.

That's what I dream of!

Another question - how are the legacy's with weight? Like, say, 5 passengers and another 200 pounds of gear?

It's alot to ask of a car, I know.

5 passengers may be tight, especially 5 adults on long trips.

The 200 lbs would be fine.

nipper

If you are looking for a full size truck.....buy a Ford.

If you are looking for a small SUV or Car.....Definately the Subaru.

I would definately go with 03 or newer unless you find a 2000-02 that has already had it's headgaskets done by a reputable shop.

I live in a semi-rural area in Canada, and I love my Forester.

I do my own servicing (I agree with nipper's comments about preventative maintenance).

I usually get my parts from an independent parts store; I've also bought parts online from www.autopartsway.ca . I'll go to the Subaru dealer for parts as a last resort.

The only repair that I did not do myself was to have the clutch replaced; I had that done at an independent shop.

Subaru's AWD are fantastic for Canadian snow.

Just get some good snow tires; they make all the difference; don't be fooled by so-called 'All-season' tires, the rubber is far too hard at cold temperatures.

Go for it! Get a Subaru! Eh!

Actually I'm looking at a 2002 with low mileage and a sound maintenance history (just talked to the fellow at the dealer where it was regularly serviced) but only one head gasket was replaced. Oh yeah, and Subaru Canada pretends the problem never existed...

I should probably just find a 2003 i guess.