Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBW, 120M

The Mrs. and I went camping last wknd in our OBW. We usualy tent but it was kinda damp and we weren't going to be spending much time in the tent anyway (at a music festival). We layed the seats down and blew up our air mattress inside, worked great! It was getting hot but if we rolled the windows down, mosquitos would get in. With the frameless door glass, I cant find a proper solution for the next time. Most of designs are like this one. http://www.bookofjoe.com/2007/05/car_window_scre.html

and some are like this one

http://www.theskeeterbeater.com/products.html

but none seem to fit the frameless door glass design of my car.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Duct tape. Or better, wide masking tape.

Just use tape to seal the screen to the open windows. Not elegant, but it works.

The alternative is to make a fancy screen that fits the window opening, and is held in place by raising the window slightly. But getting the shape to fit perfectly in any kind of cheaply available, easily worked material would be a royal PITA. Unless you use it for several weeks a year, keep it simple.

I presume the car is parked for the duration of the festival? It could be kind of a nuisance otherwise. Access is by the rear door only, which actually improves security.

Rob. (who attends way more music festivals than is healthy....)

Edited by robm

Thanks, Rob.

I guess the only solution is one where the doors must stay closed for it to work. I'll try to think of something and maybe patent it! I am surprised Subaru didnt come up with something, given they were after the outdorrsy people market. I think most Subies have the window frame now though.

Have Rob, what fests you go to in BC? Ever go to Shambala? Im in NB btw.

Pretty much the local festivals: Smithers Midsummer, Kispiox, Riverside here in Terrace. Last year, I hit one day of Mission, near Vancouver. Next year, Island Musicfest in Comox is on the books. Maybe Edge of the World on Haida Gwaii? I am a folkie, and I have been going to these so long, I go to see my friends play, not the headliners. On a good day, my friends are the headliners. Mission last year was to see Nathan Rogers, and even there, after a 15 year absence, I still met people I knew in the crowd, and got invited into the sound booth because I knew the sound man from Midsummer. It is a really small, friendly world when you get into this kind of music. Way less than 6 degrees of separation, 4 tops. Even if you don't know anyone on the site, it only takes about 10 minutes and a beer, and maybe a song at the campfire, or help them with their tent. Friends for life.

Back on topic: Maybe a coathanger frame, with a wooden base? The wire jams into the rubber seal, the wooden base has a groove to take the window. Still can't open the doors, and probably wouldn't work with power windows: Too much torque, and not enough control to get them into place without smooshing them.

Rob.

Rob.

Edited by robm