Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 180 K on a 95 auto transmission. Every 3 months or so, it will slip in drive after stopping, for example at a stop sign, and just spin. So far, after putting it in park and reshifting to drive, it has "engaged". I replace 4 qts of the fluid a year ago and the problem started thereafter. I know, now, that I shouldn't have done it.

Whats the prognosis? Is there any solution?

Don't think that changing the ATF caused or resulted in the problem. Are you sure that your ATF level is not low or over filled? Check the fluid level when the motor is warm, engine still running, and in Park gear, in case you didn't know.

BYW, changing the ATF just once, only changed about half the fluid. Suggest you fill and drain a total of three times with some driving between changes to do a thorough fluid change.

Chainging transmission fluid has zero to do with this. Check your level to make sure its full. Do a FULL fluid changes (three drain and fills). Then lkest see what happens. It is possible that your tranny is tired, but we do have one more trick up our sleeves if the full fluid change doesnt help.

nipper

Chainging transmission fluid has zero to do with this. Check your level to make sure its full. Do a FULL fluid changes (three drain and fills). Then lkest see what happens. It is possible that your tranny is tired, but we do have one more trick up our sleeves if the full fluid change doesnt help.

nipper

Shame on you Nipper...! dangling a carrot in front of him like that and not delivering...LOL

There would seem to be a possible miracle elixir for your problem....

Trans-X Automatic Transmisson Slip-stop & Leak Fix

"read all about it"....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87708&highlight=forward+engagement

Shame on you Nipper...! dangling a carrot in front of him like that and not delivering...LOL

There would seem to be a possible miracle elixir for your problem....

Trans-X Automatic Transmisson Slip-stop & Leak Fix

"read all about it"....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=87708&highlight=forward+engagement

Well i dont like elixers as a repair, unless everything else has been ruled out first.

i would have told him.....

eventually.....

Well i dont like elixers as a repair, unless everything else has been ruled out first.

eventually.....

The Trans-X works well for the 99 and 00 models with their unique AT forward engagement problem. My 99 AT marches on after a year on Trans-X and 10K+ miles. However, you may suffer from a different problem with your 95 model. Still, it is worth a try. Just be sure to drain some ATF off before adding Trans-X. You don't want to over fill.

eventually.....

of course you would...because you're that kinda' guy:lol:...don't leave us...!

and if it were me...I would do two more dump and refilling with fresh fluid before trying the trans x...that way you will know most of the fluid is fresh and you can leave the trans x in for awhile

Thanks for the advise. I did check the tranny level and it was high by a quart. So I drained it until it was down to the high level mark. But since the slippage is so intermittent that I won't know for quite a while if the excess fluid was the cause of it.

The following is two posts by L8APX and Bunta's Blue Beast explaining why it's a bad idea to change the fluid in a high milage tranny which hasn't had the fluid changed on a regular basis.

L8APX

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony7325

"Hi, so recently i got a service done from the local subie dealer, and they did the timing belt, and changed fluids in the diffs, but not the trans fluid (auto). I was told by service manager that since the mileage of the car, it seems that the fluid was never changed, so its better off leaving it the way it is...??? Now wouldnt fresh fluid be better than the used up old stuff? if you use the same as original, and completely flush the old out, isnt that better than leaving the original fluid? car has only 112kmiles..."

No, leave it alone. Your transmission is at a point where "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Since it's never been serviced the fluid and more importantly the grit and grime in all the little crevices, seals and on the bands is what's holding it together. Fresh fluid will most likely cause leaks and/or slips in short order. Send a letter of commendation to the dealership for their honesty and good will toward you.

Rule 1. You only change the fluid in a neglected tranny as a hail mary last ditch effort before the big repair.

With Automatic Transmissions it's either you service them every 30-50K or just don't do anything and replace/rebuild it when it blows at around 150K. Due to the sick traffic in Metro NY I've owned at least one car with a slushbox since 1990.

If you do decide to change the fluid, just remember I told you so as you rev in reverse and curse your head off. If you still decide to do it anyway use a seal conditioner like Lucas Stop Slip additive. It might just save you from yourself.

Bunta's Blue Beast

^^ Absolutely 100% correct. I just finished auto transmission class and this was one thing our teacher harped on. DO NOT change the tranny fluid on a high mileage transmission. A tranny flush or just new trans fluid can break free grime/deposits/tranny shavings which will then make there way into your valve body.

Thanks for the advise. I did check the tranny level and it was high by a quart. So I drained it until it was down to the high level mark. But since the slippage is so intermittent that I won't know for quite a while if the excess fluid was the cause of it.

The following is two posts by L8APX and Bunta's Blue Beast explaining why it's a bad idea to change the fluid in a high milage tranny which hasn't had the fluid changed on a regular basis.

L8APX

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony7325

"Hi, so recently i got a service done from the local subie dealer, and they did the timing belt, and changed fluids in the diffs, but not the trans fluid (auto). I was told by service manager that since the mileage of the car, it seems that the fluid was never changed, so its better off leaving it the way it is...??? Now wouldnt fresh fluid be better than the used up old stuff? if you use the same as original, and completely flush the old out, isnt that better than leaving the original fluid? car has only 112kmiles..."

No, leave it alone. Your transmission is at a point where "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Since it's never been serviced the fluid and more importantly the grit and grime in all the little crevices, seals and on the bands is what's holding it together. Fresh fluid will most likely cause leaks and/or slips in short order. Send a letter of commendation to the dealership for their honesty and good will toward you.

Rule 1. You only change the fluid in a neglected tranny as a hail mary last ditch effort before the big repair.

With Automatic Transmissions it's either you service them every 30-50K or just don't do anything and replace/rebuild it when it blows at around 150K. Due to the sick traffic in Metro NY I've owned at least one car with a slushbox since 1990.

If you do decide to change the fluid, just remember I told you so as you rev in reverse and curse your head off. If you still decide to do it anyway use a seal conditioner like Lucas Stop Slip additive. It might just save you from yourself.

Bunta's Blue Beast

^^ Absolutely 100% correct. I just finished auto transmission class and this was one thing our teacher harped on. DO NOT change the tranny fluid on a high mileage transmission. A tranny flush or just new trans fluid can break free grime/deposits/tranny shavings which will then make there way into your valve body.

And I am an automotive engineer and I can tell you that is an old wives tail from old wives cars. Back before computer controlled transmissions, this was true. Materials and seals were differnt, along with how an automatic transmission operated. Modern transmissions last tthe life of the car now because internal clutch slippage has been greatly reduced (which was the cause for wear and failure in an automatic). Internal materials have changed a great deal since then. The old theory that the gunk that was baked onto the clutch plates no longer applies, since gunk doesnt get baked on the clutch plates anymore. Computers reduce engine torque for a split second at clutch engagement, so no internal slippage, nothing to get baked onto the plates.

Now old fluid can gum up the solenoids and pistons. It can loose its ability to transfer heat effeciently. Transmission fluid usually doesnt have an issue with water contamination, but over many many many miles one can never tell. Chaining the fluid on a modern tranmission will not hurt.

Yes there is ALWAYS someone who says "I changed mine for the first time at X00,000 miles and it failed". Most likely thier transmission was going to fail anyway. Its the same thought process of chaining from dino to synthetic oil caused oil leaks (as it does not because the engine was going to leak anyway).

nipper