Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need new front rotors and pads on my 97 OBW, before I start, does the axle nut need to be removed to remove the rotor disk? Also, after looking at Rockautos website I see there are various sizes of rotors for a 15" wheel. 10-15/64", 10-7/8", 10.895" and so forth. How do I know which one I need for my car? I do have the dual pistons but which rotors to buy?

No, the axel nut does not have to be removed to swap out a front rotor. Simply remove the caliper. Looking on the back side of the rotor, there are two bolts located at the top and bottom. Remove those two bolts, and rotor is off.

I just replaced my rotors on my 98 OBW. I ran into a snag when one of those two bolts was froze up. I put an extension bar on a breaker bar, and promptly broke the bolt off. Then the fun began. I had to take my car to a repair shop where they applied heat to what was left with a torch to remove the rest of the bolt.

Suggest you soak thoroughly those two bolts with PB Blaster, or a good penetrating oil (not WD-40) to keep the bolt from breaking, particularly if you live where they put salt on the roads in winter.

As far as rotor size, I dunno. I went to Autozone, told them I had 15" wheels, bought their best, and bolted them on. The Autozone desk guy never asked me what size 15" rotor I wanted. I did not have any sizing problems with what they sold me. Maybe those numbers you list are for thickness, so any size thickness will work.