Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finding a replacement IAC valve or bypassing it

I have a '91 Legacy with a NA EJ22 and manual tranny that is in need of a new IAC valve. This is no longer available through the dealership so I am stuck with used. Finding a used IAC from a manual donor is proving difficult.

Is it possible to use one out of an automatic tranny donor? They have different part numbers so I dont know how they differ.

Is it possible to just bypass this valve some how? I think I read about someone doing this.

The symptoms -

* Will not idle after a cold start. Having to hold the pedal down to keep it running.

* After it is warm it fluctuates from 200-1000 rpms and sometimes even out to 500 rpms after cycling up and down a dozen times. When it does, a loudish "hmmmmmm" is coming from the valve that sounds almost like a radiator fan inside the intake hoses. This is not normal........

* I removed the solenoid from the top of the valve while engine was idling(300rpm's?) the sound mentioned above seems to be coming from the solenoid itself as it was vibrating heavily and humming in my hand

* I can slowly coach it to idle, but it is on the low side (500rpm's)

* Cleaning it with throttle body cleaner helped the first couple of times, but symptoms keep coming back and are now worse.

Many thanks for the help.

Ryan