Ultimate Subaru Message Board

08 Forester shakes ocasionally

24K miles on it.

I noticed this 3-4 times during the last month. Driving 60 mph, all of a sudden the whole car starts trembling, pretty badly. Pull over, stop, start driving again, shaking's gone.

While shaking, I tried to shift in neutral (std transmission), shaking still there. Also noticed that when hitting the brakes during one of these episodes, shaking gets even worse, as if the rotors are very very bad.

(Normally, when I hit the brakes i can feel mild shaking, but in these cases it's quite bad). Any clue?

much appreciated

Could be they left the driveshaft loose at the factory...

Dave

Thanks guys

The problem is I'm very far from any dealer, and I'm afraid if I go there I'll have to leave the car for a while, as they might not find something right away.

Drvieshaft not loose. I took the driveshaft out to take a look at it and I found that the ujoints might be the problem, but I'm not sure. I expected them to be smooth, but they are not. They have some flat spots and they move in steps. The front one seems to be worse than the rear one, especially on one direction. Now I never touched a forester driveshaft before so I'm not sure if that is normal or not, but other ujoints from other cars are definitely smoother that that. I'm not sure how hot that can get, but I suspect that at higher temperatures they might lock or something. I think this might be consistent with the symptoms. I wander how dangerous this might be if I drive like this for a little while