Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

my timing belts are fine.

the hood is there just not on.

only the engine block plus the internals are there.

i found out who owned it and gonna try to get a hold of him to see if he'll get rid of it.

i want to buy it for the good parts that are on it.

Less than 5 miles away from me.

Shoot, you could probably offer to hack it out of that jungle surrounding it and get it for services-rendered :lol:

My latest two tasks were removing the crappy home applied purplish window tint from the rear hatch that the PO had on the wagon, and exhaust repairs. Had to wrap the crap out of the drivers side manifold to Y pipe junction, as there no longer was a junction lol, and used some VersaChem Muffler weld on some pinholes and cracks around the front pipe hanger bracket.

Edited by SmashedGlass
oops

:-\ , :-\, I was driving slowly through a grocery parking lot, following behind a large 4-wheel Chevy pick up. He stopped, so I stopped. He quicklyattempted to back-up trying obtain a parking space without looking in his mirrors. His wife was yelling at him to stop, but he kept going and smashed into the front driver's side of my 1986 Subaru GL. When we assessed the damage, he was very quick to state"well, at least it's only the head light and we don't need to call the cops. I was a pushover and agreed to swap insurance info. as long as we reported the incident immediately to our insurance companies, along with any pertinent info.(phone nos, addresses, license info. etc. He said he couldn't get through to his agent, but all would be right by Mon. This all happened on a Saturday, so 1st thing Mon. a.m., I contacted his insurance (State Farm) to verify damage. The man that smashed my car hadn't contacted his ins. co. so I had to file a claim for his lazy you know what. I then proceded to take my 86 Suburu GL to one of their "preferred" shops. I found out that not only was my headlamp smashed, but the metal rectangle shaped "cup" holding 3 lights is bent and is pushed into the radiator and fan belt. The grill is broken, the hood latch is not working since the frame that holds the hood is also bent. I managed to open the hood but can't close it due to the warping.

I guess my point is that the arrogant jerk that hit my car was more worried about getting back home with the cold beer, claiming the damage to my car was only a broken headlamp and man oh man was he mistaken.

I was given a rental car to drive on 8-8-11 as I left my Subaru at the shop (feeling a heartache that is hard to describe). Today is 9-13-11 and the necessary parts have been nearly impossible to locate. I'm told the new grill is "in the mail" for 2 wks now. Statefarm even had the audacity to call and let me know the cost of using a rental car after one month of service was to be my responsibily. The parts for a 25 yr. old car are difficult at best to locate. I refused the assinine proposal and the body shop is also refusing on the grounds that I can't safely drive my car without a grill for many reasons. The accident was caused by a man who can pay for any additional costs/fees in my opinion and I think if this went to court, justice would prevail - I hope.

thanks for listening

kimgarden

Edited by kimgarden

:-\ , :-\, I was driving slowly through a grocery parking lot, following behind a large 4-wheel Chevy pick up. He stopped, so I stopped. He quicklyattempted to back-up trying obtain a parking space without looking in his mirrors. His wife was yelling at him to stop, but he kept going and smashed into the front driver's side of my 1986 Subaru GL. When we assessed the damage, he was very quick to state"well, at least it's only the head light and we don't need to call the cops. I was a pushover and agreed to swap insurance info. as long as we reported the incident immediately to our insurance companies, along with any pertinent info.(phone nos, addresses, license info. etc. He said he couldn't get through to his agent, but all would be right by Mon. This all happened on a Saturday, so 1st thing Mon. a.m., I contacted his insurance (State Farm) to verify damage. The man that smashed my car hadn't contacted his ins. co. so I had to file a claim for his lazy you know what. I then proceded to take my 86 Suburu GL to one of their "preferred" shops. I found out that not only was my headlamp smashed, but the metal rectangle shaped "cup" holding 3 lights is bent and is pushed into the radiator and fan belt. The grill is broken, the hood latch is not working since the frame that holds the hood is also bent. I managed to open the hood but can't close it due to the warping.

I guess my point is that the arrogant jerk that hit my car was more worried about getting back home with the cold beer, claiming the damage to my car was only a broken headlamp and man oh man was he mistaken.

I was given a rental car to drive on 8-8-11 as I left my Subaru at the shop (feeling a heartache that is hard to describe). Today is 9-13-11 and the necessary parts have been nearly impossible to locate. I'm told the new grill is "in the mail" for 2 wks now. Statefarm even had the audacity to call and let me know the cost of using a rental car after one month of service was to be my responsibily. The parts for a 25 yr. old car are difficult at best to locate. I refused the assinine proposal and the body shop is also refusing on the grounds that I can't safely drive my car without a grill for many reasons. The accident was caused by a man who can pay for any additional costs/fees in my opinion and I think if this went to court, justice would prevail - I hope.

thanks for listening

kimgarden

sorry for your misfortune/mishap. This is why i refuse to go full coverage insurance on my BRAT or other older cars. The insurance companies simply CANNOT fix our cars anymore due to lack of parts. If parts are not around ,they cannot fix for less than a total out. That means a total on even small damage, and that will for sure ding the resale / title status for future.

I got my weber rebuilt, installed, up'n'runnin. port matched the adapter to the intake, and because of that, ended up needing to plug the port into the coolant gallery (1/4 npt).

I finally understand why everybody who has a weber was promoting them so much. this thing runs great! idles great, transitions are nice and smooth, better low end torque, and a slight improvement on the top end. MPGs I dunno yet...

y'all ever notice that in order to have the throttle cable long enough to idle correctly, it only opens the carb just over 1/2 way?

I'm gonna correct that right after I pass emissions (failed the 1st try, new jets on the way)

y'all ever notice that in order to have the throttle cable long enough to idle correctly, it only opens the carb just over 1/2 way?

I'm gonna correct that right after I pass emissions (failed the 1st try, new jets on the way)

yeah what is the fix? nobody has brought that up that I know of.

I got my weber rebuilt, installed, up'n'runnin. port matched the adapter to the intake, and because of that, ended up needing to plug the port into the coolant gallery (1/4 npt).

I finally understand why everybody who has a weber was promoting them so much. this thing runs great! idles great, transitions are nice and smooth, better low end torque, and a slight improvement on the top end. MPGs I dunno yet...

yeah what is the fix? nobody has brought that up that I know of.

It all centers on where you have the end of cable bracket.

To have it work correctly it needs to be mounted on the back of the intake manifold.

Mine is mounted to where the EGR used to be and works fine.

Accelcableforweber.jpg

It all centers on where you have the end of cable bracket.

To have it work correctly it needs to be mounted on the back of the intake manifold.

Mine is mounted to where the EGR used to be and works fine.

Accelcableforweber.jpg

aaah, you're using linkage from the stock carb on the weber! (the bracket on the throttle shaft) I hadn't thunk of that...I was just going to drilla hole in the bracket that's on my weber, closer to the throttle shaft, so that it takes less cable travel to obtain all the movement it needs...

but, I guess I'll be pullin the stock one back out of the trash to strip it

glad this thread popped up. I forgot I had removed my lift kit, so i just spent a few minutes removing the 6mm wrench i used as the cable bracket, and found the original bracket to put back on. Will test out later on my journey.

yes, we usually use the hitachi craptachi throttle linkage and swap it to the weber.

well i have not installed them yet. but i did score these. maybe this sunday evening or thursday next week i can get them in. cant wait!!!

90 bucks from craigslist. :eek:

with some help from rpholz, his woman. my woman and her daughter. four people to buy and pick up two seats....lmao.

ryan you got to drive the baja. hope you liked it. you should have got on it a little atleast.:rolleyes:

this is gonna be fun install i can tell already.... has anyone else done this?

post-17377-136027650295_thumb.jpg

post-17377-136027650304_thumb.jpg

Edited by dragonfire

well i have not installed them yet. but i did score these. maybe this sunday evening or thursday next week i can get them in. cant wait!!!

90 bucks from craigslist. :eek:

with some help from rpholz, his woman. my woman and her daughter. four people to buy and pick up two seats....lmao.

ryan you got to drive the baja. hope you liked it. you should have got on it a little atleast.:rolleyes:

this is gonna be fun install i can tell already.... has anyone else done this?

Done what? EJ seats in a GL.

Yes, and it isn't too bad. They do ride a bit high though. I'm going to probably end up having to cut down where the rails mount on the front to lower it, and re-weld.

ryan you got to drive the baja. hope you liked it. you should have got on it a little atleast.:ro

Uh no.... first off I know how you are with that thing lol

Second if I had felt the boost build up on it the XT, Outback, motorcycle and probly the AR-15 would be sold to by a WRX or something.

came out better then I thought it would I got very spoiled with the Random orbit polisher cut the time down big time.

I just used the Meguiars clay kit and used liquid gold.

tomorrow or Monday I'm going to use Meguiars #26 on another car to test

If you have the ambition to Wax it by hand, totally use Mother Calif. Gold (Awesome Wax, I will not use anything else) :)