Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Having Problems, Need Help

ViceMan

I have a 1988 subaru GL 4-door sedan with the EA82 engine SPFI with an automatic transmission.

MY subaru is having trouble getting into gear, it was fine until sunday when it had lots of trouble changing gears. the next day it had trouble even moving forward, so following the user manual i put in some new ATF fluid that helped a bit but its still not doing well, i have to rev the engine to get it to go, then other times I did not have to. Also I just added fluid but did not drain the old. if anyone could tell me how to fix this or what the problem is I would be gratefull.

Man I did not know how much I have loved this little car until I couldn't drive it:(. it has really grown on me, and even though i haven't been able to give it all that it needs, it still runs and it keeps going. So please help me out. thanks a ton.

Viceman

I assume this is a 3AT?

Is so, its most likely the governor.

Its the large cylinder on the passenger side of the tranny(you can see it from above).

Pull this cap off and you will find the gov.

I think its just a couple of bolts to remove, then it pulls out.

If the gear at the end looks apple cored, then thats the problem.

Its not hard to find another one in the wrecking yards, someone here might even have one.

Finally found the link.

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/USRM/Transmission/Governor/ATgovenorclean.htm

Edited by Turbone

Yeah - sounds like the governor gear might be a problem - follow Turbone's advice and I'll add that sometimes it's not the gear but rather the plunger in them needs the edges dressed as they can get rolled over and cause it to stick in the bore. Also if it keeps eating governer gears then likely the drive gear inside the tranny is shot - you would have to pull the tranny and remove the diff section to replace the drive gear. Usually better just to find a different tranny at that point.

GD

Thanks You guy for your help. I Located and pulled the governor and it was perfectly fine, no apple coring and no plunger sticking, so its my transmission. Which isn't bad i suppose considering that its only 400 to 500 to replace at mountain tech motors in Oregon City Oregon. Thanks for your help though, it was greatly appreciated.

ViceMan