Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is a leaky impreza outback gas tank an expensive repair?

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 96 OBS with 115k miles and auto tranny. It's a 3 hour ride away though. Surprisingly, there's none of the usual rust over the rear wheel wells. :eek:

Owner says it starts and runs like a new car but just confessed to me today that if he fills it over 1/2 tank he smells gasoline. :-\ Said he took it to a shop and they said it's probably a rust hole in the top of the tank. Also mentioned that a new tank is $200 at BOND auto store. That sounds pretty low to me! :eek:

If I buy this car... is the gas tank swap a big job and is a new tank really $200?

How much should I offer for this OBS with a leaky gas tank? Any advice?

a.jpg

Edited by Bigbusa

actually - it's usually just the fuel filler pipe, they're cheaper and easy to replace. when you work on them, pull the plastic cover off and throw it away, they trap mud right up against the pipe and causes it to rust.

gas tank probably isn't that hard and you could try and find a used one or have the old one repaired. someone on the Subaruxt.com board recently had his tank repaired. they somehow clean and treat it.

good luck!